The current Liberal Democrat administation at the Guildhall is running up a massive £5,000,000 overspend according to this weeks cabinet reports.
a) The net projected overspend is now £4.997 million compared with £5.140 million at the end of Period 5.
Liberal Democrat councillors agreed at the meeting to continue with the list of budget cuts listed below.
"The actions taken/proposed were again reported to members in November for Period 5 and remain unchanged for Period 7. In summary the key areas remain:
· (£290k) saving by introducing tighter controls over Care Home placements resulting in a one in for every four leaving care. This will need to be carefully monitored.
· (£180k saving achieved by review of residential placements to ensure appropriate accommodation is secured.
· (£135k) additional income can be achieved through carrying out individual assessments of ability to pay for respite care rather than charging a flat rate.
· (£195k) saving to be achieved by review and revision of home care packages where applicants receive between 0-5 hours per week.
· (£190k) reduction in the scale of core packages offered.
· (£250k) saving achieved by ceasing purchase of equipment for Aids/Adaptions."
Lib Dem bosses have also held a crisis meeting to discuss massive cuts in other council services.